Tuesday, June 12, 2012

In case anyone didn't already know, fifteen hours on an airplane is a really long time.  Claustrophobia is not a problem for me, but I have to admit that getting off that airplane was one of the most welcome experiences I can remember.

As we were navigating our way through the Los Angeles Airport we met an interesting trio of Chinese young people who seemed to be having a bit of trouble.  I first remember seeing them at the security desk at the international terminal.  As the good-will ambassadors we want to be, we naturally thought we'd lend a hand with where to go, and they pitched in and helped us with our luggage..  After a little bit, we discovered we were all going on the same plane to Hong Kong.  We introduced ourselves, and found their names were Monson, Sara, and Nelson - not  atypical adopted Asian names. At the final security check, due to a lack of adequate time, the other passengers in line allowed all of us to move to the front of the line, and the young folks came right along with us.  Once past security they continued to help us to the boarding area, where we parted, presumably for good.

To my surprise, as we got of the plane in Hong Kong (we were among the last off), there were our three new friends waiting to help us find and get through the Chinese security and customs and to just generally help us through a most unfamiliar terrain.  I thought, "What sweet young people these are."  Somewhere along the about the time we headed for the baggage claim area, one of them casually mentioned that our ride was already at the terminal waiting for us.  With those names, and that clue, I should have figured out what was going on, but  even that wasn't enough in my over-fatigued brain (at least that is the excuse I like to give myself).   I innocently asked Nelson just who it was that he thought was waiting for us.  He replied "President Chan and his wife".  So what do these young folks know about President Chan, I wondered.  After about a minute of thought processing and interrogation, I found out that these three have been attending school in Utah (not BYU), and were returning home for the summer vacation.  Two were headed for Hong Kong, one to Macau where his father is the Branch President of the branch we'll be working in.  They are all active members of the church from good, strong families.

We have enjoyed a good chuckle over their little charade, as I'm sure they have.  So much for the "inscrutable" Chinese psyche.  That is just the type of joke I would love to play, if I could only keep my mouth shut long enough to pull it off.  What a great start to our Adventure.  I have a hunch I'm really going to like it here.

Sorry I don't have any pictures this time.  I have some good ones for future posts, but I was just too jet-lagged to even thing about cameras or pictures that day.  I hope to get more posts on here in the near future, now that we have the internet in our apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment