Thursday, March 22, 2012

Corrections and additions

I have gained an appreciation of what a reporter does.  Trying to get all the facts straight and all the pertinent information together, then organizing it in a coherent and readable manner is a lot tougher than it looks!  I probably won't quit complaining about sloppy writing or inaccurate data, but I will be more sympathetic.

Anyway, I want to make a short post to fix and add some information.

First, in my last post I stated that Grandma Karen Johnson made "ftallvid",  and sold it to help support the family.  I am informed by a most reliable source, Sverre Stølen from Trondheim, Norway, that that "word is unknown, and should most likely be 'flatbrød',  literally 'flat bread'", and is still eaten today.  Sorry about that error, and than you Mr. Stølen for your input.

Second, my cousin Tamra Asay sent me this picture.
House in Trondheim
I think this is the house that Olaus, Karen, and the family built when they moved from Ytterøy to Trondheim.  It looks awfully good for being nearly 140 years old!  Someone has taken meticulous care of it.







Truman Leonard Residence


I wish I had recorded just where I found this picture.  I wasn't wise enough to record it in my Web Sites Visited log.  So now I'm trying to track down some more information on it.  I believe it might be in the Farmington, UT area, and have contacted the DUP (Daughters of the Utah Pioneers) trying to locate it.  I would appreciate any information I can get about it.  Thank you.




My next post(s) will be about my maternal line.  There are some fascinating women pioneers whose stories are "totally awesome".  The first will be on Elizabeth Birch Fagg Swain Harker.  That name alone should stir up some curiosity.  If that's not enough, a book, "Heap Brave Women" has been written about her.

Until next week . . .

1 comment:

  1. http://www.farmington.utah.gov/index.php?module=ibcms&func=print&fxn=trails_committee.2_0hms
    I am a 3rd great granddaughter of Truman Leonard. My mom told me about your blog as I have been helping my 4th grader on a report for school. This house is still standing in Farmington @ 94 E 500 N. I have included the Google Maps link so you can see it in street view. Hope it works!
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&gs_rn=7&gs_ri=psy-ab&cp=16&gs_id=2d&xhr=t&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.44158598,d.aWM&biw=1440&bih=725&bs=1&wrapid=tljp1363889728893038&q=500+N.+94+E+farmington,+utah&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x8752ff143172e761:0x6e5148a7fd09473c,94+E+500+N,+Farmington,+UT+84025&gl=us&sa=X&ei=WU5LUd6KGIOZyAGY8oHICQ&sqi=2&ved=0CC0Q8gEwAA

    ReplyDelete